Thursday, November 24, 2011

Angel on a Christmas Tree

Expected Publication: December 6th, 2011
Obsidian (Lux #1)
By: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Entangled Publishing
ISBN-13: 9781937044237

Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks
me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.


Review

   Katy Swartz is living the life of a normal girl.  She is feeling out of place, moving from Florida to a small town in West Virginia to start over with her Mom after her Dad dies from cancer.  Katy loves books and has a blog.  She doesn't believe she's anything above average.  But when she meets Dee and her brother Daemon all that begins to change.  Dee becomes her best friend and smoking hot Daemon is all over the place, friendly one minute and downright hostile the next.  It doesn't help that Katy and Daemon have some serious chemistry smoldering between them.  Weird things begin to happen, especially when Katy is almost killed outside of the library by a man looking for them, after Daemon saves her from a bear attack.  Then a car almost kills her and when he stops it in its tracks, Katy demands to know why.  Turns out that Daemon and Dee are aliens!  They have superpowers and their lives on Earth are regulated by the U.S. government, who know nothing of their powers and belive them to be completely harmless.  And a mysterious race called the Arum is hunting them down, killing their kind one by one.  It turns out that anytime they use their powers on a human, it leaves a glowing trace.  Katy is lit up like a christmas tree angel - this could be a problem.  I really ended up loving this book!  Katy was such a real person with real emotions and that can be hard to come by in YA fiction sometimes.  Her mother was actually THERE.  I know, *gasp* right?  Plus she was plain awesome.  Daemon was a total ass and completely unreadable.  But then he'd do something perfect and it would throw me off, plus he's smoking hot!  That can allow quite a bit to slide.  I loved the origin storie for the aliens and the nemeses even though it did remind me quite a bit of Superman's mythos.  This book was well paced and the ending fit the plot.  It didn't leave me cold like so many have in the past few months.  Definitely would recommend this to people who like paranormal YA, but want something different than the usual vampire/werewolve/zombie/freak of nature stories. 

VERDICT:  4.5/5  Stars

*I received an Advanced Reading E-book Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley. No money was exchanged for this review. The expected publication of this book is December 6th, 2011.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!