Monday, November 28, 2011

The Power Will Deliver Us

Published: August 23rd, 2011
The Power of Six
By: Pittacus Lore
HarperCollins
ISBN-13: 9780061974557


I've seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened in Ohio. John Smith, out there, on the run. To the world, he's a mystery. But to me . . . he's one of us.

Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us—if we all still believe in our mission. How can I know? There are six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another . . . but our Legacies are developing, and soon we'll be equipped to fight. Is John Number Four, and is his appearance the sign I've been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who may be strong enough to bring the six of us together?

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio—and failed.

I am Number Seven. One of six still alive.

And I'm ready to fight.


Review

   At the end of I Am Number Four, John was on the run with Six, Sam and Bernie Kosar after Henri died and the Mogadorians destroyed the school, failing in the attempt to capture him.  All John has left of his Cepan is the chest from Lorien that he has yet to open, his ashes, and a letter that might explain some things he didn't have a chance to tell them.  John is mooning over Sarah as per usual but finds himself fighting a serious attraction to Six, especially since Sam has a thing for her.  And after all, people from Lorien only have one true love.  Or do they?  Aside from John's p.o.v. we are introduced to Marina, who is Number 7 and lives in a Catholic Spanish orphanage with her Cepan, Adelina.  Something broke inside of her on their fight for survival, so when they settled at the orphanage Adelina began to ignore Marina and her responsibility to train her for battle against the Mogs.  Marina has taught herself how to use her Legacies all by herself.  All she wants is to be free to fulfill her destiny.  She knows about what happened to John in Ohio and is dying to go find him.  I loved all of the action plot twists and the fact that the kids are proactive about getting back Six's chest, which was stolen by the Mogs when they killed her Cepan and held her prisoner for almost a year.  This is important because it introduces us to Number Nine who is also being held captive.  He is set free by John and Sam, but it comes at a  very steep price.  It's also revealed to us that there was a second ship with a tenth garde member that managed to leave Lorien safely.  Number Ten is younger than the others because of this and her only legacy so far is the capability to change her age.  Sam's father WAS involved with Henri as an ally of Lorien, but when they return to Paradise to retrieve something he left behind, they are betrayed by a trusted friend.  I liked this book but I thought that some of the plot twists (*cough*Sarah*cough*) were a major copout.  But overall, it was a really strong sequel to the first one and I can't wait to see what happens next.  That cliffhanger is going to kill me!!!  Not the most eloquent book ever but fun and a fast-paced read.  Highly recommended for those who like brain candy every once in awhile.

VERDICT:  4/5  Stars

*No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book is now available in stores and online.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!