Monday, December 5, 2011

The Magic of Not Reading This Book

Published: October 11th, 2011
Tris and Izzie
By: Mette Ivie Harrison
EgmontUSA
ISBN-13: 9781606841730


A modern retelling of the German fairytale "Tristan and Isolde", Tris and Izzie is about a young witch named Izzie who is dating Mark King, the captain of the basketball team and thinks her life is going swimmingly well. Until -- she makes a love potion for her best friend Brangane and then ends up taking it herself accidentally, and falling in love with Tristan, the new guy at school.



Review

   So, I have read a lot of retellings lately.  Most of them have been worth my time and I love the original story of Tristan and Iseult.  Plus, the movie Tristan and Isolde is awesome in my opinion.  So I figured out that I would give this book a shot even though pretty much every review for it on Goodreads said how bad it is.  They were right.  Izzie (Isolde) is a high school student whose Mother is a witch who uses her powers for healing.  They moved from Curneval, a hidden magical community, when Izzie's Dad died ten years ago.  Now her life is almost perfect.  She has her best friend Branna (who has been acting weird lately) and her boyfriend Mark, hot basketball team captain.  They rule the school and Izzie just has to say the word for Mark to exile anyone she wants from everyone in school.  Izzie thinks that the cute new guy Tristan would be a perfect boyfriend for Branna, so she steals one of her Mom's love potions to give them.  But she ends up taking it herself to avoid Mark taking the rest of it when Tristan's done drinking.  As a result, she finds Mark disgusting and is in love with Tristan instantaneously, seemingly for good.  So with practically no fuss, Mark gets together with Branna and she gets with Tristan.  Isolde is being hunted by some evil serpent from Curneval who killed her Dad and wants her dead.  She has to battle off the monsters with the help of her friends and defeat the serpent to save Curneval.  Izzie is shallow, selfish and dumb as a box of rocks.  Anyone with ears, eyes and a brain figures out within the first twenty pages that Branna wants Mark to herself.  All Izzie thinks about is how things will affect her and she strings both boys along for as long as she possibly can before having to give one up.  The inclusion of magic is so asinine and unnecessary it only underlines the poor character development, lack of plot, and overall atrocious writing.  I wish that I had magic in my life to help me go back in time and prevent me from reading this waste of space.  NOT recommended unless you like stupid books with bubbleheaded characters.

VERDICT: 1/5 Stars

*No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book is now available in stores and online.*


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!