Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Listen Closely Wednesdays # 6


   Hi everyone! As my followers have by now learned, I am passionate about Young Adult books. But I also love many other forms of expression, including music. I truly believe in the quote that is pictured above and as such have decided to create a weekly meme that is dedicated to sharing music that I believe in, music that has touched me, made me laugh/cry or just plain feel something more. Every week, Listen Closely Wednesdays will talk about five songs that have been important to me that week, why they made the list and I will post all pertinent info about the song itself as well. If you wish to do this on your own blog, please credit me. It is something that I would love to share but I do want to be recognized as this having been my own, original idea. On that note, feel free to comment about the things I share with you or about the music that's on your mind at the time. I'd love to hear all about it! Without further adieu, let's kick off this week's Listen Closely Wednesday!

Five Songs That Took Me Back To The 1990s This Week

1.  'Iris' sung by: The Goo Goo Dolls
- This song is available on the album, "Dizzy Up the Girl" (1998) and can be found on iTunes, Amazon, and many other places. 

- Reason Behind It:  This song is just so ingrained in the 90s for me it isn't funny.  They played this on the radio A LOT when I was a kid and I loved the Goo Goo Dolls then - I still do.  It's just a good song.


2.  'Bitch' sung by: Meredith Brooks
- This song is available on the album, "Blurring The Edges" (1997) and can be found on iTunes, Amazon, and many other outlets that distribute music as digital files or hard copies.  Not a hard song to locate! :)

- Reason Behind It:  This song makes me mellow out, believe it or not.  It also makes me confident in who I am, ready to tell someone to shove it if they don't like me.  I am perfect just the way I am, even if that means I'm full of contradictions.


3.  'One of Us' sung by: Joan Osborne
- This song is available on the album, "Relish" (1995) which can be found on iTunes, Amazon and just about anywhere older music is available for sale (I recently saw it on Salvation Army shelves).

- Reason Behind It:  In the 1990s everyone thought they were SO original and philisophical.  But Joan Osborne is just asking a question people have always asked: what would God be like if he was just another person?  That's the reason you still hear this on the radio occasionally.  Because it's an ages old question we all wonder about.


4.  'I Don't Want To Wait' sung by: Paula Cole
- This song is available on the album, "This Fire" (1996) and can be found on iTunes, Amazon, YouTube and many other places.  Plus, I'm sure many of you recognize it from a certain TV show...

- Reason Behind It:  When I think of the 90s, I inevitably think about Dawson's Creek.  That leads me to this song, which was the theme song for the first year and a half of the song.  When they switched theme songs I WAS PISSED OFF.  This is still the theme to me and they used it on the series finale.  Therefore, it is one of my quintessential 90s songs.


5.  'Sunny Came Home' sung by: Shawn Colvin
- This song is available on the album, "A Few Small Repairs" (1996) and can be found on iTunes, Amazon, YouTube, etc.  It's an easy find! :)

- Reason Behind It:  This song is one that I was obsessed with as a kid.  I got a Walkman for Christmas in 1997 and this is one of the first cassette tapes I owned (this and the Backstreet Boys' first album).  I played this so much you'd think it was the only song in existence.  Plus, I heard it on the radio quite a bit as well.  This song just got into me and I still sing along every time I hear it.


   That's all for this weeks edition of Listen Closely Wednesdays. I'm honored if you decided to read this post and I would love to hear your thoughts. Happy listening my friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!