Tuesday, January 3, 2012

You Can Try To Bite Me...See What Happens

Expected Publication: January 16th, 2012
Don't Bite The Messenger
By: Regan Summers
Carina Press
ASIN: B00699QQ8G


Anchorage, Alaska
The vampire population may have created an economic boom in Alaska, but their altered energy field fries most technology. They rely on hard-living—and short-lived-- couriers get business done...couriers like Sydney Kildare.
Sydney has survived to the ripe old age of twenty-six by being careful. She's careful when navigating her tempestuous clients, outrunning hijackers and avoiding anyone who might distract her from her plan of retiring young to a tropical, vampire-free island.
Her attitude—and immunity to vampires' allure—have made her the target of a faction of vampires trying to reclaim their territory. Her only ally is Malcolm Kelly, a secretive charmer with the uncanny habit of showing up whenever she's in trouble. Caught in the middle of a vampire turf war, Sydney has to count on Malcolm to help her survive, or the only place she'll retire is her grave...

Review

   Sydney Kildare is just trying to save up enough money so she can move to Hawaii.  She just wants out of the courier business, to be able to go to a place where the vampires won't follow.  It's why she uses an alias when she delivers and no one even knows her real name.  It looks like that might not happen though, when a package she's delivering blows up almost taking her with it.  Turns out that because of her imperviousness to vampire influence, certain businessmen are trying to get rid of her.  Bronson, a vampire she normally delivers for, has been keeping tabs on her through Malcom (a total hottie, who is interested in Sydney).  Even when she moves to Hawaii finally she can't get away from assassins and danger.  Will Sydney choose a life of monotony and ease, or a life of  heart-pounding thrills and romance?  This was a cute little novella, but I felt like it focused too much on the romance.  I was more interested in Sydney's bad-ass antics then her relationship with Malcom.  I do like that she didn't automatically go goo-goo eyed over some piece of tail like most paranormal heroines.  I would be interested to see what else happens to Sydney next.  One thing I give Ms. Summers major props for is the fact that I AM NOT into urban fantasy AT ALL.  That said, I'm was glued to my Kindle, trying to know what happened next.  I'd recommend this to people looking for a quick, fun read.  Regan Summers is an author to watch out for! :)

VERDICT:  3.5/5  Stars

*I received an Advanced Reading E-book Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley. No money was exchanged for this review. The expected publication date of this book is January 16th, 2012.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!