Saturday, February 18, 2012

Please Don't Guard My Life...

Expected Publication: March 1st, 2012
The Lifeguard
By: Deborah Blumenthal
Albert Whitman & Company
ISBN-13: 9780807545355


It's an unsettled summer for Sirena. Back in Texas, her family's splitting apart, but here in Rhode Island, at the cottage of her aunt, it's a different world. There are long days at the beach and intriguing encounters with Pilot, the lifeguard with shamanic skills. Sirena explores her obsession with Pilot and discovers his mysterious--almost magical--gifts.
 
Review
 
   Sirena is stuck in Maine with her Aunt for the summer, because her parents are in the middle of an ugly divorce back in Texas.  At first her unhappy family life consumes her thoughts, leaving her depressed and isolated.  But then Sirena crosses paths with Pilot, a lifeguard who she is instantly attracted to.  She also gets a job volunteering at the hospital and becomes friends with a old painter named Antonio.  There are also unexplained supernatural things going on.  Will Sirena be able to heal her pain, get the guy and solve the mystery of all the weird things happening.  This book was a major let-down.  I went in with high expectations and at first it seemed like they'd be met.  However, the obsession/instant love between Sirena and Pilot was a major turn-off for me.  I HATE it when the main characters of a book have such a superficial connection to each other.  Also, none of the supernatural stuff was ever really explained to my satisfaction and Sirena got distracted from her curiosity way too easily.  She was an intellectual bimbo, which was unfortunate and made my brain hurt.  My favorite things about this book were Sirena's Aunt, the dog, Antonio.....yeah and that's about it.  I seriously abhorred the way that this book was written, it was a stylistic nightmare.  I can't stand books that are more description than dialogue and this was one of those books.  I would not recommend this for anyone who actually wants a book where something of substance happens.  If you want fluff and instant love with nary a plot in sight, this one's for you.
 
VERDICT:  1.5/5  Stars
 
*I received an Advanced Reading E-book Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley. No money was exchanged for this review.  This book is expected to be published March 1st, 2012.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!