Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Dragons Unleashed...

Published: April 1st, 2007
Dragon's Keep
By: Janet Lee Carey
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
ISBN-13: 9780152059262


Far away on Wilde Island, Princess Rosalind is born with a dragon claw where her ring finger should be. To hide this secret, the queen forces her to wear gloves at all times until a cure can be found, and Rosalind can fulfill the prophecy that will restore her family to its rightful throne.
But Rosalind’s flaw cannot be separated from her fate. When she is carried off by the dragon, everything she thought she knew falls apart. . . .
 
Review
 
   Rosalind is descended from Evaine, the younger sister of King Arthur, who was banished to Wilde Island when she married an outlaw.  Her name was erased from remembrance, but Merlin prophecied that the 21st Queen of her line would redeem the Pendragons, end a war and restore Wilde Island.  Rosalind is believed to be the Queen who is prophecied, but she was cursed to be born with a dragon talon in place of her ring finger.  Her Mother is trying desperately to find a cure so that Rose can be married off to a Prince and save the family honor.  But after a dragon that's been terrorizing the island is finally killed, her mate comes back and carries off Rose.  She is forced to take care of the dragon hatchlings the dead Mother left behind.  To do this she must have a strength of mind she didn't know she possessed.  Rose goes through many trials and home is the only thing keeping her going.  But will she ever be able to return?  I liked this book quite a a bit.  That said, I read it AFTER I'd already read the companion novel Dragonswood.  Going back in the timeline was a little irritating when I somewhat already knew what would happen.  I liked Rose as a heroine and she carried the book very nicely.  I was however bored when she was being held captive by the dragon and that accounted for about a third of the book, which says a lot.  It just seemed like the ending came to quickly and was a little to tidy to be very deeply felt.  I didn't get as attached to Rose's fate, no matter ho much I liked her, because of how easy everything seemed to be resolved.  It was a good book, worth readin.  I won't be re-reading it though. 
 
VERDICT:  3/5  Stars
 
*No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book is now available in stores and online.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!