Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Kiss That Ruins...

Expected Publication: May 22nd, 2012
Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers # 1)
By: Michelle Rowen
HarlequinTeen
ISBN-13: 9780373210473


I don't do dangerous. Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back. Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me.... NIGHTWATCHERS When angels and demons must work together, something beyond evil is rising...

Review

   Samantha never expected her longtime crush Stephen to finally kiss her when she went clubbing with her best friend Carly.  He said it would change her life, but she never would have seen it coming.  Now Sam is hungry, just not for food anymore.  What she wants now are human souls.  Because it turns out that Stephen stole her soul when he kissed her!  Now Sam is enlisted to help a group of angels and demons, sent to stop all of the Grays (term for soul-suckers) from destroying the town, possibly even the world.  But there might be more to the situation than any of them have been told.  And when they've defeated the Grays will Bishop, an angel who Sam is starting to fall for, be able to leave as planned?  Or will he be stuck on Earth, cast from Heaven forever?  This book was semi-new to me.  I have tryed and mostly succeded at staying out of the angel/demon craze in YA books.  Therefore I'm not burnt out on them yet like so many others seem to be.  I kind of have mixed feelings about Sam as a heroine.  She was sort of a bitch through the whole situation, a little too woe-is-me Bella Swan in her mentality.  It was like Sam was physically incapable of seeing anyone's problems but her own.  Bishop was too much of the strong, silent yet suffering type to really appeal to me.  After so many of them in YA books, do-gooder heroes bore me.  They annoy me somewhat as well.  The insta-love/lust is so overplayed I can't even express it.  The people who interested me of course were the side characters, like Carly, Kraven, and the others on the team sent to fight the Grays.  Maybe there will be more of them in the second book, but I probably won't be reading it to find out.  The style this was written in drove me mad - not enough action to counterbalance all of Sam's angst and I just didn't connect with the main characters.  The plot would have been a winner, but the characters bogged it down.

VERDICT:  3/5  Stars

*I received an Advanced Reading E-book Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley. No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book's expected publication date is May 22nd, 2012.*

1 comment:

  1. I have this book on my reader all ready for me to read. You brought up some interesting points and I wonder if I'll feel the same way when I read it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!