Tuesday, January 8, 2013

"It" Is a Million Times Better Than You


Expected Publication:  February 5th, 2013
Me, Him, Them and It
By: Caela Carter
Bloomsbury
ISBN-13: 9781599909585

When Evelyn decided to piss off her parents with a bad reputation, she wasn't planning to ruin her valedictorian status. She also wasn't planning to fall for Todd-the guy she was just using for sex. And she definitely wasn't planning on getting pregnant. When Todd turns his back on her, Evelyn's not sure where to go. Can a distant mother, a cheating father, an angry best friend, and a (thankfully) loving aunt with adopted daughters of her own help Evelyn make the heart-wrenching decisions that follow?With the popularity of JunoTeen Mom, and The Secret Life of the American Teenager, this novel has a built-in audience. Gripping, heartfelt, and responsible, Me, Him, Them, and It is not to be missed.

Review

*SPOILER ALERT!!!*

     Evelyn was really a good girl, just playing at being bad to get back at her parents.  But the only one she ended up hurting was herself, when unprotected sex landed her at Planned Parenthood - trying to decide between abortion, adoption and parenting as a junior in high school.  With her parents being supportive, although still messed up and fighting, Evelyn goes to live with her Aunt, her partner and their adopted daughters in Chicago for the duration of her pregnancy.  But can she face up to the reality of the situation in time to make a decision that will affect her for the rest of her life?  And will it be the right one?  I was expecting this to be like every other teen pregnancy book that I've ever read.  It definitely was something different, but not always in a good way.  It was super realistic, and Evelyn's lack of common sense in her scheme of getting back at her parents rang true to me.  But she came off completely unsympathetic for the most part, refusing to acknowledge the fact that she was even pregnant and not meeting the adoptive parents before signing the papers - then regretting it afterwards.  Evelyn was a brat for the majority of the book, using her somewhat boyfriend Todd for sex and to up her bad girl image, than being pissed when he's less than thrilled about her being pregnant.  Then when she gives the baby up she freaks out, because she's regretting it, after nine months of referring to the baby as it and blaming him for her screw-ups!  Overall, I can appreciate the fact that Evelyn was a dumb kid and DID make the right choice.  But I hated her bratty ass, all the way to the end of the book.  For as smart as she supposedly was, she reminded me a lot of those dumb girls on 16 & Pregnant.  Not a book I would read again and I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone.  But I do admire the fact that the author got me to read it through to the end.

VERDICT:  2/5  Stars

*received an Advanced Reading E-book Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley. No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book's expected publication date is February 5th, 2013.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!