Thursday, February 28, 2013

Running Leah Over


Published: October 9th, 2012
Chasing Leah (Journey Series # 1)
By: C.A. Williams
Self-Published
ASIN #: B009ODBZKS

Leah Rossi hasn't had an easy upbringing and is looking to start fresh when she leaves for college. Being abandoned by her mom and ignored by her grandma, shes basically on her own dealing with life's everyday struggles and added into the mix is a three year old. But as soon as she locks eyes with a tattooed up bad boy looking Chase O'Neil, shes hooked and has no where to run while she fights the overgrowing attraction that ignites between them.

Review
     
     I went into this one knowing that it was self-published, but I have read some really good books that were.  So I gave it a fair shot at making me a fan.  I wish that I could burn it for having wasted my time, but it's an e-copy and Kindles are expensive devices!!!  I loved the idea of the story, a college aged girl caring for her little brother and struggling to trust anyone after being screwed over by her Mom.  A hot, tattooed musician looking to break through her shell and true love that blossoms between them (I'm a cheesy romantic at heart still <B).  What I got was a meandering plot, mediocre writing that bordered on torture for my eyes, which are already bad and the butchering of yet another good idea someone else should have had.  Or at least this author should have hired a professional editor.  The sloppiness of the sentence structures, word choice and over usage of certain phrases had me cringing and rolling my eyes in disgust.  How many times could Chase actually freaking smirk???  A lot apparently!  And Leah was one of those Mary-Sue heroines that is the obvious case of an author writing herself into her book, a la Stephanie Meyer with Twilight.  A heroine with no real faults except an annoying inability to be consistent in her beliefs is annoying at best and revolting at worst.  This fell somewhere between the two, due to the adorable presence of her brother Caleb.  Even he didn't manage to be very realistic though and I have never met a toddler as well behaved as that kid.  Not a single tantrum?  No one is that mature at the age of three!!! The accident that she was in only had me wishing that Leah would just die already, so maybe someone more interesting could become the main character or something would finally, effing HAPPEN!!! (but with Allie, an obvious Twilight rip off of Alice as the BFF, this never would have happened anyways).     Overall a huge disappointment and I will NOT be reading anything more by this author unless she is picked up by a major publishing house and severely edited.  I don't know how I made it to the end - it was a freaking, modern miracle! :()

VERDICT:  1/5  Stars

**No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book is now available in stores, online, or maybe even at your local library.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!