Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Leave Me Breathless


Expected Publication:  April 30th, 2013
Breathless (Elemental # 2.5)
By: Brigid Kemmerer
Kensington Teen
ISBN-13:  9780758285539

Too many secrets. Not enough time.

Nick Merrick is supposed to be the level-headed one. The peacemaker. Since it’s just him and his three hotheaded brothers against the world, that’s a survival tactic.

But now he’s got problems even his brothers can’t help him survive.

His so-called girlfriend, Quinn, is going quick as mercury from daring to crazy. Meanwhile, Quinn’s dancer friend Adam is throwing Nick off balance, forcing him to recognize a truth he’d rather shove back into the dark.

He can feel it—-the atmosphere is sizzling. Danger is on the way. But whatever happens next, Nick is starting to find out that sometimes nothing you do can keep the peace.


Review
 
     Nick Merrick is always the one who plays it cool and makes the responsible decisions.  Someone has to, especially with three brothers who are impulsive and have hot tempers.  There's a secret that Nick's been keeping from everyone though, even his twin brother Gabriel and now he has to make a choice that will change things forever - or follow his heart.  Does he stay with Quinn, the girl he should love but doesn't, or does he admit to himself (and possibly everyone else) that he's actually attracted to other guys?  Things reach a breaking point when Nick is introduced to Quinn's friend Adam and is forced to be truly honest with himself for the first time.  A lot of people are pretty obsessed with this series, and I totally get the draw.  Hot brothers with wounded spirits and a traumatic family history, fighting to survive against the odds.  Each of them has elemental powers and they are all the swoony hero type of guy.  But honestly speaking, even though I've really liked the full length novels, so far I haven't LOVED them.  My favorite story has been Michael's, which ended with a pulse-pounding cliffhanger and made me fall in love with him as a romantic lead.  So of course, then I get thrown into the world of the younger brothers and poor Michael is stressed out and RESPONSIBLE now.  Forgive me for being disillusioned!  Anyways, Nick's novella is the closest since Michael that I've come to love.  He reminds me of myself, with his strong family loyalty and dedication to doing the right thing.  Also the tendency towards denial is very familiar as well.  I can totally sympathize with his refusal to admit to himself what he really wants.  Especially when Nick is afraid that it might hurt his family.  This is his problem with what colleges to apply to and who to be attracted to. 
     On the other hand character-wise, Quinn made me feel like alternately bitch-slapping her and crying for her misfortunes.  Having a shitty family and being unable to really leave it behind is an awful situation to be sucked into.  It's not like you can choose your parents when you're born.  And I get that it's normal for someone in that situation to have extremely low self-esteem.  But that scene with the ho-hos made me cringe with it's honesty.  Also, was really afraid for her when she went off drunk on the back of some random guy's motorcycle.  Seriously, that's just asking for trouble!  After not really liking her in the other two books, and thinking she was pretty much a complete bitch, I came around to boarding the Quinn train.  As for Adam, not really quite sure what to think as of yet.  I thought that he came across as slightly pushy, but in under 70 pages there's not a lot of opportunity for deep characterization.  I did like him though and feel like he will be good for Nick.  I can honestly say that I never saw Nick's attraction to other guys coming, until it hit me on the side of the head.  Then I went D'oh! and saw stars for a few moments.  Now I'm good again.  Overall, a really good novella and I loved the peek into Nick who was somewhat of an enigma in the other books.  I must also say that the kiss between Adam and Nick was epic!  Now I'm excited to read Spirit and see what she does with Hunter! :)  Recommended for fans of the rest of this series so far.

VERDICT:  4/5  Stars

*received an Advanced Reading E-book Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley. No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book's expected publication date is April 30th, 2013.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!