Monday, September 23, 2013

Candy and the Cankersaur - Review

 
Published:  June 17th, 2012
Candy and the Cankersaur
Story and Illustrations by: Jason Sandberg
Jason Sandberg eBooks
ASIN:  B008CG1S96
 
This is the sweet and funny tale of a young girl named Candy and a Cankersaurus Rex! Candy receives a dinosaur as a gift and is determined to train him to be a good pet.
 
Review
 
      Candace Courtney Wellesley Wellington, who everyone calls Candy, lives in a really big house with her Father.  He never has any time to play with her, so he always gets her the best, most unique presents.  This time he has gotten Candy the last known dinosaur, a cankersaur to be precise, as her playmate!  Now if only she could train Cank not to bite!  Candy's neighbor Chucky is very competitive though and when he can't get a dinosaur of his own, Chucky gives Cank to the circus.  When he sees how sad Candy is, can Chucky help her get Cank back home?
      Jason Sandberg e-mailed me himself, asking for a review.  And while picture books are really NOT my normal fare, I agreed due to how cute it sounded and the awesomeness of the illustrations.  It immediately reminded me of the Sid Hoff books I read as a kid (it turns out he was inspired by Hoff and this is an homage to him!) and I was excited.  It's just a short book about a lonely little girl, a dinosaur and a neighbor boy with a jealousy problem who becomes a friends.  Very well executed it will definitely hold the attention span of the age group it's meant for.  I spent the whole time I was reading it smiling at the story and the character's reactions.  Cank being unable to be trained not to bite comes into play near the end in a really logical way.  Good book to teach kids about sharing and being friends with others. 
     The one thing I would say is this could be read to younger ages, but only older kids (7-9ish) could probably read it to themselves and fully comprehend some of the larger words.  This is dependent on the child's reading level and comprehension skill though as well.  Overall, a cute book for young children (ages 5-9ish) and adults will enjoy it too.  The artwork is very well conceived.  Maybe a sequel is needed with Candy, Cank and Chucky's further adventures? :)
 
VERDICT:  4/5  Stars
 
*I received an E-book Copy from the author.  No money or favors were exchanged for this review.  This book was published June 17th, 2012.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!