Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #17 - Or My Top Ten Books (Overall) of 2013


     Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly event hosted by The Broke and The Bookish, which allows bloggers to share lists of some of our favorite (and not-so favorite) things.  This week we’ll be highlighting the top ten books that we read this year!  I have already done a similar post for Feature & Follow with AlisonCanRead and Parajunkee.  But it was the Top Ten New to You Authors of 2013.  Coincidentally, some of the books do overlap!  Such hard choices to make this list, and leave off other favorites from it.  Can't wait to see everyone else's lists and I'm sure my TBR will be creaking from the weight by the time I'm done visiting! LOL
      As always, happy Tuesday and have fun everyone!  Also, MAKE SURE TO LEAVE A LINK TO YOUR POSTS SO I CAN VISIT YOU GUYS TOO!!!  Without further adieu, the books (it's always all about the books)!  :)  All of the books are linked to their Goodreads pages. 


Top Ten Books I Read In 2013 (No Specific Order, Except For #1)


Oh my GOD!  This book you guys!  I think by combing through I have found this year's definitive favorite.  I just absolutely fell in love with Cherry and this book.  I want everyone to read it!  But I also think that it's a little special and some people probably won't "get" it.  I did and I am so glad!


One of the best, most innovative time-travel books I have ever read.  Absolutely hanging on the edge of my seat the whole time and I fell for all the characters too!  Cannot recommend it highly enough.



A completely fitting ending for one of the best high fantasy series I've ever read!  The series stayed consistently awesome, never falling into the tropes so many others do.  Plus it has non-stop action, a kick-ass heroine and a swoony bodyguard! (Hector FTW!)



The alien civil rights movement, an evil master plan, romance, an awesome sense of humor and some masterful prose!  What's not to love about this fantasy novel involving alien exchange students coming to Earth?  Nothing, that's what!



I was unsure of this book when I first got it for review.  But I absolutely adored the main character Ezra, and his snarky, witty self!  Also, one of the best depictions of a teen in a shitty situation but trying to make the best of it.  Never phony and not always pretty, but definitely a great read!



What if Kate Middleton was ugly and lived in a trailer park?  That's basically the quick and dirty of this one, though it digs much deeper into the right reasons for love and learning to accept yourself for who you are.  Oh yeah, it also has a wickedly hilarious sense of humor! (If it seems like I'm saying that a lot, it's because it matters.)



A novel in which the heroine and every other woman in society is treated like property and less than human.  Very important things to say about our world and the independence of human beings in relation to others.  Plus, it has a really wonderfully and realistically developed romance.



All I can say is though this one is late to the party (I just finished it two days ago), it is extremely impressive in its own right.  It's the second novel in a trilogy but completely avoided the sophmore syndrome most fall into.  Not to mention that it is a chilling retelling of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, but it has a pretty hot romance in it too (the love triangle was done so well I could deal with it - rare)!



Astrid is a complete and total asshole.  She's basically a truth-telling, saracastic, arrogant and power hungry bomb of a human being.  It's both shades of hilarious and heartbreaking.  This book digs deep into what it means to co-exist with other human beings - and does it with a pie in one hand (to shove in your face) and a tissue in the other hand.



This one terrified me, made me relate to it and had me bawling like a baby.  Such a personal book to read and definitely the best I've read by Matthew Quick.  He proves he can pack punches like any of the big guns in YA.

7 comments:

  1. Ooh nice! These are mostly new to me! Haven't read any though. Glad to see you enjoyed them all so much!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep seeing All Our Yesterdays and Gorgeous, but I hadn't heard anything about them yet! Good to know that they're good; I'll have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alienated and the Rae Carson series are on my TBR list; the others are mostly new to me, though I've seen a few of them on blogs here and there. I like your annotations - I may check a few of these books out! Thanks for stopping by my post yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all new to me, but I really want to read the Matthew Quick book and you've definitely caught my attention with Cherry Money, Baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list. You've got some really amazing books on your list. Alienated made my list too, I loved that book! Happy New Year :) My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous sounds really funny, I definitely need to read it. And Her Dark Curiosity has the most beautiful cover I've ever seen. The Bitter Kingdom and All Our Yesterdays are on my list for sure too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to get my hands on Her Dark Curiosity!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!